Just like you, your puppy can show allergy symptoms when their immune system begins to recognize certain triggers or allergens as dangerous. Even though these allergy triggers are common in most environments and harmless to most animals, a dog with allergies could have an extreme reaction to them. Dogs with a food allergy will frequently have itchy skin, ear infections and sometimes gastrointestinal problems.
Signs of Allergies:
Dogs with an allergic reaction will often lick and scratch until a hot spot develops, which can be cleaned gently with a mild antiseptic spray. The itching will usually start seasonally, which generally is how you can differentiate atopy from the other types of allergies.
There are four main types of allergic reaction in dogs: atopy, flea, food, and contact.
Atopy pertains to environmental allergies; this is most commonly seen when there is a high concentration of pollen. In humans we frequently refer to this as seasonal allergies. We are going to focus primarily on seasonal allergies in dogs for this post. If you’re concerned about the possibility of food allergies, please consult your vet.
Signs of Atopic Allergies:
Natural Treatment Options and Helpful Hints:
1. Give your dog a gentle wipe down to remove allergens after walks.
2. When bath time rolls around, try switching to a hypoallergenic shampoo.
3. Help boost your puppy's immune system with Healthy Hound Seasonal Allergies and Immune Booster
Healthy Hound Seasonal Allergies and Immune Booster:
With Healthy Hound Seasonal Allergies and Immune Booster you can help support your puppy's immune system and fight seasonal allergies the natural way, using all organic free trade herbs. Just sprinkle it into their food so they can get the full benefit of nature's healing bounty.
- Ginger, Parsley, Rosemary, Echinacea and Chia Seeds
- antibacterial properties
- helps alleviate nausea and upset tummies
- anti-inflammatory properties
- treat common colds and respiratory infections
- antioxidant, antiseptic, and anti-allergic properties
- contains vitamins, and minerals
- helps flush out toxins
- rich in Omega 3
- promotes healthy immune system
Paleo Chicken Tikka Masala
If there ever was a beloved food its the ever versatile taco! This is our healthy paleo spin on the classic taco.
- 1/2 cup plain dairy-free yogurt (we use the coconut milk yogurt from Against all Grain)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Masala Indian Spice Blend
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon Masala Indian Spice Blend
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- dash of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups strained tomatoes (tomato puree)
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Slice the chicken and then place chicken in a large ziplock bag and pour marinade over it.
- Seal the ziplock and place in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and, using a paper towel, pat dry.
- Place the chicken on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler until just cooked through and showing some brown spots. Depending on the size of the thighs, it should take about 10-12 minutes.
- Turn once halfway through. Remove from oven, and cut into cubes.
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic and ginger until lightly browned and softened, 6-8 minutes. Add the spices and stir for 1 minute, until fragrant and add the tomatoes and honey. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Partially cover the pot and cook over medium heat until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the almond milk and cashew cream then continue to cook over low heat for about 10 more minutes.
- Add the chicken, and simmer until chicken is warmed back through.
- Sprinkle in the cilantro for garnish and serve hot over cauliflower rice.
Masala Indian Spice Blend:
Tasted and tested to perfection our Masala Indian Spice Blend is exactly what you need to give your next indian dish that little bit of something extra.
Ingredients:Organic cumin, organic coriander, organic cardamom, organic black pepper, organic cinnamon, organic cloves, and organic spices.