Ah, spring has finally come! Beating back old man winter and bringing forth all manner of flowers and new growth. While we enjoy walks in the park it often includes the annoying company of a runny nose, teary eyes, itching and sneezing. Spring around these parts, is also the season of allergies. If you are suffering from this all too common misfortune, you know just how much time and money you spend on taking medicine to relieve your allergy symptoms. Throwing all manner of chemistry at the problem hoping for some sort of relief. But, there are other ways to not only ease and cure your allergies, but also to improve your overall health. One such way is with drinking tea.
Seasonal Allergy Tea:
Our Seasonal Allergy Tea will help treat sinus congestion and boost the immune system without causing drowsiness.
Ingredients: Echinacea, Peppermint, Eucalyptus and Goldenseal.
- Echinacea - Has been used to successfully treat sinus and chest congestion for hundreds of years. Echinacea helps promote a healthy immune system, which is important in curtailing sinus infections secondary to allergies.
- Peppermint - Is noted for its ability to quickly clear sinus allergy-related congestion and relieve the headaches that are often present with sinus congestion.
- Eucalyptus - Most recognized herb for sinus allergies is eucalyptus. This herb is particularly aromatic, giving quick sinus allergy symptom relief.
- Goldenseal - Helping to protect the body and hasten healing by stimulating the immune system.
Pickled Bean Sprout Salad
Often served tucked into a broth or wrap this salad can stand alone for nutrition and bold flavor.
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, julienned
- 1 Fresno chile, with seeds, julienned
- 2 cups Fenugreek sprouts
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar (or sugar substitute)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh basil or cilantro leaves, thinly sliced
- Toss carrot, chile, bean sprouts, lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with basil just before serving.
Fenugreek is a special sprout, also known as methi, is a treasure trove of medicinal properties. It is rich in vitamin C, proteins, fibers, niacin, potassium, iron and alkaloids. It is also rich in a compound called diosgenin which has estrogen-like properties and steroidal saponins.
- Improves Digestive Problems and Cholesterol Levels
- Reduces Inflammation Inside the Body
- Increases Libido in Men
- Promotes Milk Flow in Breastfeeding and Female Breast Health
- Beneficial for Menopause, a source of Diosgenin
- A Lymphatic System Cleanser