Continuing with our commitment to Diabetes Alert Month we bring you week 4, with a new recipe and information about the early warning signs of diabetes.
Here are some tips to help you reduce your risk and the management of type 2 diabetes.
- Manage your weight. Excess body fat, particularly if stored around the abdomen, can increase the body’s resistance to the hormone insulin. This can lead to type 2 diabetes.
- Exercise regularly. Moderate physical activity on most days of the week helps manage weight, reduce blood glucose levels and may also improve blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet. Reduce the amount of fat in your diet, especially saturated and trans fats. Eat more fruit, vegetables and high-fibre foods. Limit processed foods and ‘Convenience meals’. It’s best to cook for yourself using fresh ingredients whenever possible.
- Limit your alcohol intake. Too much alcohol can lead to weight gain and may increase your blood pressure and triglyceride levels.
- Quit smoking. Smokers are twice as likely to develop diabetes as non-smokers.
- Control your blood pressure. Most people can do this with regular exercise, a balanced diet and by keeping a healthy weight. In some cases, you might need medication prescribed by your doctor.
- Reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. Diabetes and cardiovascular disease have many risk factors in common, including obesity and physical inactivity.
- See your doctor for regular check-ups. As you get older, it’s a good idea to regularly check your blood glucose, blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels.
Korean Beef and cauliflower rice.
This low carb Korean beef recipe cooks ground beef with a hint of sweet and spicy seasonings. It's a dish that can be easily prepared and served within 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 1/2 cup cauliflower rice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated stevia
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Korean 7 Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (to taste)
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Warm a large skillet over medium with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add ground beef and garlic, cook until brown.
- Add stevia, soy sauce, Korean 7 Spice Blend, and red pepper. Simmer and stir for a few minutes to blend seasonings.
- Remove ground meat from the pan, cover and set aside.
- In the same pan add the onion, cook till tender and translucent.
- Add the cauliflower rice, stirring occasionally, cooking till tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over ground meat over the cauliflower rice and top with sliced green onions.
Korean 7 Spice Blend:
Our Korean 7 Spice Blend was specially formulated to bring the healthy and natural taste of Korea to your next meal. Great as a condiment for nearly every food including: homemade kimchi, chicken, beef, tofu and eggs.
Red Pepper, Ginger, Sesame
Seeds, Garlic, Black Pepper, Onion and Gochugaru
Gunpowder Green Tea:
research confirms the high antioxidant and polyphenol activity found
in green tea, and it comes highly recommended as a general cleansing
beverage. There are many indications that green tea can help reduce
the risk of developing and the management of type 2 diabetes. The
long term consumption of green tea is associated with smaller waist
circumferences, lower body fat, decreased fasting glucose levels as
well as reduced fasting insulin levels.